Bolt Re-Use Guidelines for 1996-2003 Hyundai Engines
Fasteners tightened by a low initial torque value then tightened by an additional torque-angle value are known as torque-angle bolts (or sometimes torque-to-yield bolts). These types of fasteners can achieve very high clamp loads with very small variations.
- Torque angle gauges are available from Kent-Moore (P/N BT-8653-A) and are a part of the essential tool package.
- Some of the fasteners described require a measurement as a check prior to reuse. Always measure the shank of the bolt, not including the head.
- Always use engine oil to coat the threads and both sides of the washers of a torque angle fastener.
- Always use a torque wrench to achieve the initial torque value.
- If there is a question to the condition of the fastener (ex. corrosion), replace the fastener.