+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ford 6.0 Diesel woes (DON"T MILL THEM!!)

1. Join Date
    Nov 2004

Ford 6.0 Diesel woes (DON"T MILL THEM!!)

I got my proverbial tit in the wringer this week over a set of 6.0 Ford Heads.

The local Ford dealership sent a 6.0 Diesel head to our shop to be checked. Their were no cracks, but it was slightly warped and there was some pitting in the fire ring area. I talked it over with the tech, and we decided a minimal decking would be sufficient to insure head gasket sealing. Upon checking in Prosis, I learned that some have milled up to .008" from the deck successfully. In addition, the valve recession specs are .013"-.027". The valve in this head (actually, both of them) had a minimum recession of .0210".

I ended up milling .0050"-.0055" from both heads. (.0210"-.0055" =.0155" recession, still within specs)

Today, the Ford dealer called and said that the pistons were hitting the valves and that they will not pay for the checking/resurfacing work.

I asked the parts guy to supply me with any printed info that stated that the heads couldn't be milled. I'm sure I'm out the resufacing money, but I hope they don't want to go any further. I hate whizzing contests.

tom
    Last edited by machine shop tom; 02-05-2009 at 11:48 AM.

2. Tom:

Head gasket thickness may play a role in this dilemma. Have the dealer measure the compressed gasket thickness and see if it is too thin. It is hard to imagine being within spec and having a problem like this.

John

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004

Tom,
    I have seen those heads as well but have only done them if the valve resesion was adjusted the amount removed from the deck. The local truck shop near me has no issue doing it that way.
    The thing I am wondering is if the gasket thickness was different that the original. You remember the VW diesels with the notches in the gasket coresponded with the amount.Hope it works out in your favor
    ProPower Engine& Machine
    In canada Eh!!

4. I surfaced a set last year .005 and had no problems with piston to head contact.OEM head gaskets and ARP studs were used. I would think it's more of a compressed head gasket issue. Tom

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005

I have also surface a few last year and never have had a problem. The funny thing is we never sunk the valves! There must be a problem with the head gasket thickness on this one. I do know every one that we have done they come in stating its leaking oil from under the head gasket. And sure enough it its warped in the intake area of the head

6. I also have surfaced these heads. The last set I did were at exactly the published new thickness. I took .005" off, the customer used the ARP stud kit with OE Ford gaskets and no problems. I checked the valve recession and they were within tolerance after the .005" removal.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2004

The parts guy at the Ford dealership and I are on good terms. I mentioned the head gasket issue to him. He said he'd check on that for me and that he'd let me know how the new heads work out for them. I'd really like to see what the new heads look like.......

I did check the heads that we resurfaced. They had been bolted on, but not run. They said the engine locked up with them on. I double checked the valve recession, the minimim I got was .0155".

I issued a credit for the head resurfacing, but not the cleaning and checking. We also refinished the flywheel for the same truck, but not before I called and asked if it was resurfacable.

I spent about an hour and a half researching this engine on-line. About half of the posts about milling them had success, about half had the same problem. Also, I found that this engine is riddled with problems.

A tech that runs a repair facility across the street from the Ford dealership tells me that the dealership was replacing an engine (6.0 Powestroke) a week for a long time. He supplied the forklift, so he was on top of things.

This engine is now on my list of taboo jobs.

tom

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008

I have not seen any of these yet, but this is not the first time I have heard this engine referred to as taboo.
    It seems to me, as long as the valve recession is within spec, you should be able to mill the heads untill the lifters run out of adjustment. (An exageration, you can't machine the seats that far).
    I have been through this before with the Mitsubishi 2.0 DOHC. In each case, the cams were out of time.

Did they install a non-stock cam without telling you? Or some cool go-fast long ratio rockers? Were the proper parts used per TB2441?

There are to many possibilities for them to just blame the machine shop.

Graig

9. Join Date
    Nov 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Graig View Post
    I have not seen any of these yet, but this is not the first time I have heard this engine referred to as taboo.
    It seems to me, as long as the valve recession is within spec, you should be able to mill the heads untill the lifters run out of adjustment. (An exageration, you can't machine the seats that far).
    I have been through this before with the Mitsubishi 2.0 DOHC. In each case, the cams were out of time.

Did they install a non-stock cam without telling you? Or some cool go-fast long ratio rockers? Were the proper parts used per TB2441?

There are to many possibilities for them to just blame the machine shop.

Graig
    A far as I know, it was just a head gasket replacement job. No cam work or aftermarket parts involved. The original heads from the engine are the ones with the issues. As far as I'm concerned, it's an engineering screw-up with that particular engine (and not the only one) and I'm not going to monkey with any more of them.

tom

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004

I was just wondering if the valves showed any contact. I find it VERY hard to believe that if it was tagging valves to lock up the engine there would be no sign of a bent valve given the torque of a diesel starter.
    My other question is what year is the truck the heads are off of?
    ProPower Engine& Machine
    In canada Eh!!

+ Reply to Thread