+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crack in 3404 CAT head.

1. Join Date
    Nov 2004

Crack in 3404 CAT head.

Does a crack between the injector hole and the intake valve seat cause trouble in these heads. I have one that exhibits this crack, but there is no sign of coolant entering the cylinder nor is there any damage evident in that cylinder.

I don't to diesel work, told this guy that, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. The crack didn't show up when I magged the head. He just wanted it resurfaced and it showed up then.

Thanks,

tom

2. ??? 3404 Caterpillar

Tom,
    Not sure what you are working on, do not have a 3404 as a good engine model. but generally Cat does not accept any cracks in the decks of their heads. They would say, "Fix Now, buy New". Don't know about that particular head but more than likely, Cat would repair by welding. Can you get a little more on engine model or head casting number so we have a better idea of which head you have. One t hing we know for certain is cracks do not get better and if this one gets worse, the valve seat may loosen and drop out.
    Dave Hagen
    AERA Senior Technican
    500 Coverntry Lane
    Crystal Lake, IL 60014
    815/526-7610 dave@aera.org

3. Join Date
    Nov 2004

Sorry, Dave, I fat-fingere it. It is a 3204 head.

The customer was okay with it, so he took it.

We'll see.

tom

4. Crack repair

You may want to talk to the folks at Lock-n-Stitch for crack repair. Gary has some pretty amazing fixes for diesel head and block cracks. Their website is http://www.locknstitch.com/

The AERA publication Engine Professional has run two articles from Lock-n-Stich on diesel crack and thread repair so take a look in our archives to find these articles.

John

+ Reply to Thread