PDA

View Full Version : "blue ????" stop leak / engine sealer hardened in head and block

doctordon
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Hello all, I have a customer who had an accident, then overheated the engine. The friendly body shop decided to "help her out" by putting this "stuff" in the cooling system. The engine could have been repaired by surfacing the head, but now, this stuff has hardened in the passages in the head and block around the top of the cylinders. I can't blow it out and it is hard to dig away in the accessible areas. I don't know of anything that will soften it up short of hot tanking it. Has anyone run into this situation and have any ideas?
Doctordon :mad:
doctordonb@comcast.net

machine shop tom
01-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I tried that #@$% myself. I was able to flush a bunch of it out my engine but had to have the radiator rodded out. The engine doesn't run hot anymore since the the radiator was done, but I wonder what's in the block and heater core. I certainly don't recommend that anyone use it. BTW, if you call the company and b#$%^% about it, they may refund the purchase price (big DEAL!)

tom

doctordon
01-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Tom, what is the full name of this "stuff" and who is the manufacturer? Apparently, this stuff won't harden up unless it finds it's way into an over hot area such as a blown head gasket, that's where the problem occurs.

Dave Conway
01-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Hey guys when someone can put a name to this product I would sure like to here about it!!! I have seen this same type of build up and even tryed baking the heads and it still would not come out. I have a couple of car lots I deal with and I have seen this stuff put into engines and it don't come out and make my job a pain when you have an hour in the head and you have to say you can fix it and need a replacement head. :confused:

machine shop tom
01-25-2006, 09:51 AM
They call it "Blue Devil" stop leak.

I call it *&$#!

tom

Dave Conway
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Thank's Tom.
Can't sayI have heard of that brand name up here. Do you know who makes it?

machine shop tom
01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Thank's Tom.
Can't sayI have heard of that brand name up here. Do you know who makes it?

It's made by:

Universal Products, Inc.
5626 Southwestern Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21227
888-863-0426
Fax 410-247-3248

tom

doctordon
01-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey guys when someone can put a name to this product I would sure like to here about it!!! I have seen this same type of build up and even tryed baking the heads and it still would not come out. I have a couple of car lots I deal with and I have seen this stuff put into engines and it don't come out and make my job a pain when you have an hour in the head and you have to say you can fix it and need a replacement head. :confused:

Dave, I think you meant to say, "you can't fix it". So, your saying it's usless to try saving this engine (block and head), not even hot tanking it will get it out? Your experience with this is very helpful!

doctordon
01-25-2006, 06:10 PM
It's made by:

Universal Products, Inc.
5626 Southwestern Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21227
888-863-0426
Fax 410-247-3248

tom

Tom, thanks for the name and manufacture of this ghastly product. It's interesting to note that the shop that did this is located right in Baltimore!!

Have you seen any advertising on suggesting to use it for head gaskets specifically?

machine shop tom
01-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Tom, thanks for the name and manufacture of this ghastly product. It's interesting to note that the shop that did this is located right in Baltimore!!

Have you seen any advertising on suggesting to use it for head gaskets specifically?\

Yup!

It says right on the can (my shop is part of a jobber's parts store; they sell that stuff there):

BLOWN HEAD GASKETS
LEAKING RADIATORS
WARPED & CRACKED HEADS
LEAKING HEATER CORES
ENGINE BLOCK LEAKS
LEAKING FREEZE PLUGS

GUARANTEED TO PLUG UP YOUR ENGINE!!

Okay, I added the last one!

:D

It says that if problems persist, "consult an ASE Certified Master Mechanic for proper diagnosis" (really, it says that on the can!)

"Yes sir, it looks like your cooling system is plugged up with some kind of sealer!"

tom

rodeoaholic
01-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Hello all, I have a customer who had an accident, then overheated the engine. The friendly body shop decided to "help her out" by putting this "stuff" in the cooling system. The engine could have been repaired by surfacing the head, but now, this stuff has hardened in the passages in the head and block around the top of the cylinders. I can't blow it out and it is hard to dig away in the accessible areas. I don't know of anything that will soften it up short of hot tanking it. Has anyone run into this situation and have any ideas?
Doctordon
doctordonb@comcast.net

Yes, I had that happen to a nissan truck. I test drove it or actually started it and it sounded like a rod knocking. That stuff cogged the oil passage and i had to break it all the way down and boil it. I had another block already so, threw that one in. Instead of waiting.

C. Wolff
01-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I used 60 plus bottles in 2008 and only had 2 not work. Blue Devil is an unbelievable product.

Fast&Furious
02-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey, I noticed that a thread said, "yep, it actually says that on the can". Thought I'd point out that now in 2010 this product is in a plastic bottle. It also says "New Improved Formula". I have friends that have used this product for years with almost a 90% success rate. The key for me is to follow the directions to the "T". Especially the "pour slowly" direction. I would count 30 seconds for 1/2 a quart and a full minute for a quart. Also a solid test drive of over 30 minutes. I really love this product & the other products, Red Angel and the White Shepherd Line. I am actually about to use the white shepherd oil stop leak, rear main stop leak & transmission stop leak on my 2003 SL500 Mercedes. I am praying this fixes all my leaks because I don't want to pay the hard part repairs which totals approx $6K from the dealership.

Fingers crossed for me. Keeping the faith.

-Indianapolis, IN